top of page


Immigration issues are too serious to tackle by yourself. There’s just too much at stake. The consequences of not understanding the terms or filing the necessary paperwork can mean the difference between becoming a U.S. resident or U.S. citizen and leaving the United States for good.

Immigration and Naturalization Issues

The Law Offices of Nikhil M. Shah can help you with a number of immigration problems and issues. Just a few of the more common situations include:

  • N-648 Disability Waivers – Are you or a loved one blind, unable to read or suffering from a learning disability such as dementia or Alzheimers that prevents you or them from being able to take the civics and English portion of the U.S. citizenship test? The U.S. government grants an exception to the test in some cases like this. However, the exemption requires certification from a doctor and additional arguments on your behalf. That’s where a good immigration attorney can help you.

  • N-600 Citizenship based on parentage – Children born abroad to U.S. citizens also have the right of U.S. citizenship. However, in most cases, they must apply for a Certificate of Citizenship to accompany their birth certificate as proof of U.S. citizenship. This procedure also applies to foreign children adopted by U.S. citizens. The paperwork and procedures required for this step can be complicated. Having a qualified immigration attorney to help you can mean the difference between your application being accepted or denied.

  • N-470 Preserve residence for naturalization – If you a permanent, legal resident of the United States pursuing naturalization and citizenship, you can preserve your resident status in many cases, even if you have to leave the U.S. for a period of time as part of the requirements of your job. Again, this exemption requires filing the necessary paperwork and following up with the INS. If you’re going to be overseas, you need a California-based attorney to look after your interests.

The Law Offices of Nikhil M. Shah can assist you with any number of U.S. immigration law issues. We understand that immigration laws can be confusing and the situations stressful. That’s why you need a qualified immigration attorney who knows the parties involved, is well-versed on the statutes and has your best interest at heart. For a consultation about your immigration problem, call us today. You can reach our Los Angeles office at 213 943-1322 and our Marina del Rey office at 310 496-5734. Our staff speaks Hindi, Spanish and Urdu as well as English.

bottom of page